Thrift store in Iowa City

This was my first foray into a thrift store that had lots of turquoise. It is called Artfacts in Iowa City. They said they get stuff in every day and things have been selling well. Are a lot of thrift shops like this, especially in the southwest? It’s very difficult to find NA jewelry where I live. I did not find the item that was tagged Simplico…:cry: Perhaps someone bought it. But I took some pictures of items for eye candy purposes. Check out this store if you are in the area.

11 Likes

I don’t typically call a store with those prices a “thrift” store. Unless perception is reality. :rofl:

4 Likes

I live in the southwest.This is not typical for a thrift store in my area at all.
However, I do see this type of thing in higher end antique malls and pawn shops.

Also, we have certain sections of town where there are shopping areas that are dedicated to Western art and jewelry. The prices can curl your hair.

5 Likes

Wow. Those prices appear high to me.

3 Likes

not a thrift store. retail consignment shop

“Artifacts, in Iowa City, IA, is the leading quality vintage resale shop serving Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty and surrounding areas since 1995. We offer a variety of items including furniture, clothing, jewelry, musical instruments, art and much more! For your next vintage or antique purchase, visit Artifacts in Iowa City.”

source: https://artifacts-iowacity.com/

3 Likes

That makes sense, @Steve.

But I was thinking that if I really like something (and from the pic, some of those items look quite nice), and I will wear it (that’s a MUST for me now), then I personally prefer to buy less, but spend more to get what I want. I don’t want to just accumulate more stuff that sits there. I also tell myself that when I buy here (usually only the Eiteljorg Western Art Museum for me, not much in this area), I am getting a value, because I don’t have to get a plane ticket and rental car :laughing:

8 Likes

We were planning on driving to CO next week, but now I’m not sure I am going. My kitty got very sick, and is getting better, but don’t know if she’ll be well enough for me to be comfortable leaving. But if we go, we can never decide to go I 80 through Iowa or I 70 through Kansas. Now maybe we will have to go through IA!

5 Likes

Correct…I used yelp and it came up as #1 thrift store but it is really an antique store. I thought they had some nice turquoise items…some pricey…but still great pieces. Nothing like this where I live,

1 Like

You’re sure right about adding the cost of travel expenses when you’re shopping for jewelry in the SW @Ziacat! It adds a lot. On the other hand, once I get there, I figured I’ve already spent thousands just to shop for jewelry so I might as well spend a little more on the jewelry! But then it is a vacation too, and replacing some other vacation I would have taken with less NA jewelry shopping opportunities. I mean, even with a few squash blossoms its probably still cheaper than Europe, right?

Sorry to hear about your kitty! I’m glad she’s feeling better and hope she continues to make a full recovery.

3 Likes

Really sorry to hear about your cat, @Ziacat – hope she finishes her recovery quickly so you can enjoy your trip to Colorado!

2 Likes

Best wishes for the cats’ recovery @Ziacat . We just had to put our 15 year old cat down. Acute kidney failure.

4 Likes

Oh I’m so sorry! It’s heartbreaking when that has to be done. This one is only 3, but has IBS and normally does well. I think she just had a tummy bug. Now the struggle is getting her to eat well. Thank you all!!

2 Likes

Sorry folks. Spending that kind of money does not compute. Seems like tripping over the dollars to pick up the Pennies. If a store charges outrageous prices, the least they can do is put you up in a nice hotel for a couple nights - even if it cuts into their $80k truck payment. :rofl:

I totally agree! Oh my gosh, our rental car was priced crazy high a couple summers ago. Oh well, if I don’t make it CO next week, we might go to AZ to visit friends during the winter. I really want to see the Grand Canyon with snow! And of course would have to stop at Ogg’s Hogan :laughing: And like you said, might as well take advantage of it and spend some more!

1 Like

I hear you, but since the only things I have bought during the last two years were at the Eiteljorg Indian Art Market, and I saved up so I could splurge, I don’t feel like I’ve been had. I generally don’t buy online, because I just am one of those people who have to try things on. I’ve been very fortunate in the past to have been able to find places (like Ogg’s) that didn’t have the markup like in say, Santa Fe. But I also don’t necessarily begrudge those stores. They have to pay a huge price for being where they are. My family owned a furniture business for decades, and there’s a whole lot of expenses that most people don’t understand.

Some prefer to shop in person, and lots shop online, and the great thing is there’s plenty out there for all of us!

BTW, I don’t travel out west just to shop. My love of Native American jewelry is a byproduct of my spending so much time out there (and learned from my family).

3 Likes

I mostly agree with you @Ziacat. It mostly comes down to choices by both customer and store so who am I to judge. I admit that prices are what the market will bear. I just hope the NA craftspeople are getting their fair $ for their products in this new post-Covid mega-greedy society that’s been created. In any event, enjoy your trip!

3 Likes

It’s not the hope for deals (the metaphorical pennies) that calls most visitors to the Southwest and to events like Santa Fe Indian Market. The prices are often at the high end of market rate, since that’s where “the market” is made. At the same time, these prices are fair to the artists and the dealers, so this means viability, which is what we all want to see.

The draw has always been the opportunity to experience the highest quality, along with engaging with living artists, an education in itself. Fortunately, Native makers are thriving, new generations showing their amazing skills and imagination–and making money at it. It costs to support that.

8 Likes

Great explanation @chicfarmer ! I’ve learned a lot on this site about the new markets since I’ve been out of it for a while. The upshot is that I have brought my prices up to match the new market prices.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this, @chicfarmer

When I attended the Indian Market last month, it was wonderful to see hundreds of Native jewelers and artists displaying their work.
And yes, it was all expensive.

Meeting the jewelers and discussing their work helps you understand the real person behind the pieces.
It’s not just the stone and the silver. It’s the hours of work in a piece and all the years of experience it took to create artistry of such high levels.
Most of the jewelers come from families who have been specializing in certain techniques for generations.

Handing money directly to the maker for a quality piece of jewelry or artwork is a good thing.

Having said that, I do buy at some pawn shops.
You can’t always meet the Native jewelers, but you have to hope that they got their money the first time they sold a particular piece.

5 Likes

I have bought quite a bit of pawn also; my Trading Post Guidebook recommended a lot of shops that sell it. And I completely understand we can’t always afford the higher prices, but it’s good to realize why it costs like it does when it’s well made. I am impressed with what a lot of members on here have found on the Internet. I don’t trust myself to do that, because I’d spend too much (darn budget), or not be happy with what I bought, and get frustrated. Besides, like I’ve said here before, for me my purchases are sentimental. When I wear my stuff I remember where I was when I bought it, and that makes me happy.

4 Likes