Turquoise Artwork

Another painting by Logan Maxwell Hagege followed by a photo of the artist and his real-life subject, Chelsey Wilson, Sr., who was also an actor who appeared in The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio. Sadly, Chelsey Wilson died in 2021 at age 89.

The Man from Bylas

9 Likes

Was catching up on my AZ Highways issues, and read an article on Kate Thompson Cory who was “the first photographer to settle in and dedicate her life to capturing the Hopi people.” (AZ Highways quote)

This portrait of a Hopi girl was in her photo manuscript “People of the Yellow Dawn.” Very interesting article in the Sept 2022 issue.

5 Likes

World famous potter, Maria Martinez, from the book “Maria”.

5 Likes

From Ray Manley’s book “Collecting Southwestern Indian Arts and Crafts”

6 Likes

Like Charles Russell, I didn’t realize Frederick Remington painted Southwest Indians.

Navajo Raid

4 Likes

Oh yes, for sure! I have a book of his paintings. I’ll have to check it.

2 Likes

Ken Payne (1938-2012)

Navajo Warrior

3 Likes

Piersten Doctor, Diné, was among the featured artists at the Sovereign Santa Fe exhibit at the 2022 Santa Fe Indian Market.

5 Likes

Another Charles Russell painted in 1919. Love the old ones. :+1:

Navajo Wild Horse Hunters

3 Likes

Olaf Wieghorst. I really like this one.

The Navajo

5 Likes

@AC that ring!!! Drool!!!

2 Likes

Another painting by Olaf Wieghorst followed by the matching bronze sculpture with “turquoise” title plate.

Navajo Madonna (1972)

7 Likes

I know I am breaking my own rules of showing artwork that depicts Southwest jewelry, but Mark Maggiori is probably my favorite, living, Western artist. He only began painting Western art in 2014! A few years ago, I featured him in Turquoise Celebrities because he wears a lot of jewelry. He is a French artist, who now lives is Taos. While vacationing in Taos in 2021, I tried to visit his studio, but unfortunately, he was out of the country.

So far, I don’t believe Mark has included any jewelry in his paintings, but he certainly deserves a place in this thread for his devotion to the Southwest and indigenous people. There is an enjoyable article and interview with Mark in the current Cowboys & Indians magazine (January 2023).

Here is one of Mark’s latest works, Entering The Shrine (2022)

7 Likes

AZ Highways had an article/interview with him either earlier this year or last year, can’t remember and I didn’t keep that issue. I had never heard of him till then.

Even though no turquoise in that painting, there is a Navajo blanket so that can count as Native art!

3 Likes

Steve Henderson painting of Navajo medicine man, Nesjaja Hatali, based on Edward Curtis’ photograph taken in 1907.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Very nice, @TaraFawn75. Howard Terpning, The Long Shot. :+1:

3 Likes

@TaraFawn75 I wanted to add, many years ago, my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Howard Terpning at a museum show. He was a very nice, soft spoken gentleman and it was such a thrill and honor to be speaking with probably the greatest living Western artist. I would love to see his take on Navajo life, but to my knowledge, he has only painted Apaches and Plains Indians. I just looked up his age. He turned 95 in November. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Portrait of Susie Yazzie by Matt Atkinson.

In Beauty It Is Finished

Susie Yazzie, at nearly 100 years old, was the Matriarch of the Navajo Todicheenie Clan and a famous Navajo weaver, author and tribal spokeswoman who appeared in several John Ford films. She lived a traditional Navajo life, raising sheep and weaving prized Navajo rugs, and appeared in nearly every film, documentary photo book, newspaper and magazine story about the Navajo which was made for generations. She had greeted visitors to Monument Valley since Harry Goulding started bringing tourists to her in the late 1920s. She worked as an extra in Stagecoach, My Darling Clementine and Cheyenne Autumn, three of Ford’s films which made Monument Valley famous, and also appeared in The Searchers. Her rugs are featured in museums and art collections around the world. Susie Yazzie passed on at age 98, on February 3, 2013.

10 Likes

Wow 95. Wonder if he’s still producing art :flushed: