Turquoise jewelry I recently made

I just had one of those days that makes you ask people “Did you ever have one of those days?” Then I started looking at all the beautiful pieces of jewelry you have made since 2022, and the beauty of the images you posted, including your design sketches, just filled me with such serenity. I started putting hearts on them, then realized I was “hearting” them all! Also realized the first sentence I wrote was one of the longest run-on sentences I have ever written. But thank you for sharing these great designs and stones.

6 Likes

Thank you @hisweetpotato !
You are very kind!

1 Like

All very beautiful. Thanks for sharing :blush:

1 Like

Today I made this snake ring.
I used a piece of Ithaca Peak that I’ve had for about a year. I couldn’t decide for the longest time what to do with it! But I’ve been seeing a lot of antique jewelry featuring snakes, so I figured I’d give it a go.

20 Likes

I really like it!! And thanks for showing the steps in designing/making it. Very interesting.

3 Likes

Thanks @Ziacat !
I think it turned out ok. Ithaca Peak is gorgeous material.
Making sketches really helps me keep on track with the project.

2 Likes

@Stracci Oh, those Victorians and their love of snake jewelry. I’m very fond of snake jewelry myself. Your ring is beautiful & set with one of my favorite turquoises. Bravo!

2 Likes

@Stracci what a gorgeous design! It’s wonderful to see your creative process, too – that makes it even more engaging. Thanks for sharing this with us.

2 Likes

Great clean ring @Stracci ! Love the rattler.

2 Likes

Thanks @Patina !
I love antique jewelry, and I am always looking for inspiration. I’ll probably do more snake designs in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks @chamekke !
I be try to get very close to my original sketch.

Maybe some people are curious about the jewelry making process, so I like to include a few photos.

3 Likes

Thanks @StevesTrail
No messy solder…that’s my mantra!
The back has to be as neat as the front.

3 Likes

@Stracci I like antique jewelry, too. Here’s a very small selection of my antique/vintage lockets. I especially like any jewelry that’s monogrammed, or dated, or has initials, or a sentiment written on it. (I thought I had an antique locket with a snake on it but, I couldn’t locate it.) Some of these lockets are larger than they appear in the photo.

7 Likes

Nice! I have quite a lot of antique jewelry, too.
But nothing with snakes…they are hard to find. When you see them(online), they are very pricey.
Your lockets are fabulous!

2 Likes

This is gorgeous :heart_eyes: I love snakes too and you are so right, they are super expensive. I’d love to find a gold ring :smiley:

2 Likes

What a great ring. Looks totally different once polished! How did you get the dark background?

1 Like

@nanc9354
That is oxidation. Its a liquid that comes in a small bottle.
While the piece is hot, you apply the liquid with a small brush. It blackens the surface of the sterling. Then when you polish it, you remove all the black, except in the recesses.
I wanted all the details on the snake to stand out.

This process is done on almost all sterling native jewelry.
Here is a photo I took right after the oxidation, but before polishing.

8 Likes

What are you using for an oxidizer @Stracci ? I used Hil-ox back in the day.

@StevesTrail
I use this stuff. I bought it at Thunderbird Supply, where I get all my sterling.
It works pretty good!

1 Like

That’s the best I’ve seen. Thanks!

Rio Grande purchased the hil-ox formula from the original family of the maker and shelved it. Being a big important company, I could not get a response from Rio.

Update @Stracci : Use it sparingly. It’s no longer listed at TS.

Does it list ingredients on the bottle?

2 Likes