What stone do you think it is?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know which stone do you think it is ?

Best
Jonas

7 Likes

I’m still voting for ceremonial Kingman. It’s a great ring!

6 Likes

@Jons That’s a great looking ring. In my opinion, it’s Kingman turquoise. After my Google research last night on Ceremonial Kingman, I’d agree with @Islandmomma that it could be beautiful Ceremonial Kingman turquoise. As others have mentioned, without provenance, it’s basically a guess as to the turquoise type.

5 Likes

I would also go with Ceremonial Kingman. I was talking to a guy selling a lot of it at one of the 2022 Gem and Mineral shows in Tucson, he was telling me that it doesn’t and never has been involved with any actual ceremonies, it’s just a marketing term for the swirled reddish brown matrix!

6 Likes

So I’m constantly learning new things on here. I’ve never heard of Ceremonial Kingman, so it makes sense that it’s with the swirled matrix; thanks for mentioning that @AC. I’ve seen swirled Kingman, but haven’t come across the name. So in the end I’m still saying Kingman!

And now I will Google it…

7 Likes

Definitely has the sound of a marketing name, makes sense.

6 Likes

I would have never guessed this was Kingman, and I’ve never heard of ceremonial Kingman. Guess it’s another example of the wide variety of turquoise produced by a mine (Kingman area). Somewhat like Ithaca Peak and Turquoise Mountain referred to as Kingman. After a brief online search, there’s a lot of ceremonial turquoise on eBay and Etsy, but I love to see authoritative information on “ceremonial” Kingman.

4 Likes

That’s a really amazing ring you have there. Interesting info on the turquoise. I think I may have a cuff with a big piece of this in it.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it before either, and Google didn’t help much.

Can anyone explain more about what Ceremonial Kingman is?

P.S. The word reminds me of ceremonial matcha, a non-Japanese term meaning “of good enough quality to be acceptable in tea ceremony”. Cooking matcha seems to mean “don’t drink it, frankly it’s not that good, but if you put it in matcha shortbread it’s OK”. Pretty sure “ceremonial” doesn’t mean that here! :laughing:

4 Likes

I could find Kingman called Ceremonial, but no definition. I would bet @AC is right in saying that it’s a marketing term to describe Kingman with swirly matrix.

6 Likes

Thank you, @Ziacat !

5 Likes

there is more ceremonial Kingman turquoise available on Esty & eBay than at the mine responsible for all things Kingman

https://www.kingmanturquoise.com/s/search?q=ceremonial

edit to add:

listen closely to the chatter.

https://youtu.be/mRwOX4RELvk?si=z2g44SBflp5Aiki-

7 Likes

Jay King, he makes the phrase " There’s a sucker born every minute" comes to mind! :rofl:

7 Likes

Oh. My. Gosh. It’s rare, you’ll never find another, it’s the only one, etc, etc, but it’s on clearance for 234.00 :laughing:

“Not even the owner of the mine has anymore of it.” So then, Mr. Jay King, why, when I Google it, can I find it all over the internet?

5 Likes

Lol! He said…“I’ll “BET” not even the owner has any more of it”! Then proceeded to later say “if he does have anymore, it’s just a small amount”! Mr. King…covering that azz! :rofl:

4 Likes

I agree with y’all. Unfortunately none of us can ever get any cheese to go with our “whine”. The option available is to file a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

3 Likes

I believe this ring was made by Steve Yellowhorse. You can find him on Instagram.

3 Likes

from earlier thread:

3 Likes